Monday, April 12, 2010

Un-Cooking Class

Sorry I fail at updating everyday, I guess I didn't realize how many people ACTUALLY read this!

So yesterday my mother and I took an "un-cooking" class at the Ecopolitan in uptown. Its like a private lesson where you get to pick 5 items, and the chef teaches you how to make them, AND you get to take them home! So we chose:
"Eco-Chips"
"Taco Meat"
Hot Sauce
"Sour Cream"
"Falafels"
and Humus.
(.... I guess that was more than 5?)
Everything was surprisingly really easy to make! (Granted you know how to sprout and own a dehydrator) Considering most people that are thinking about going raw, or wanting to try it out, or even eating healthier don't own a dehydrator I will put a recipe on here for things you can make with out!)

[If you do not know how to sprout/ soak and want to learn the benefits, check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmQvnL5AeZg]

My personal favorite would be the "Taco Meat" with the Eco-chips, the best part is it ACTUALLY tastes like nachos! However, they are kind of spicy. BUT, one nice thing about these recipes are that you can just kind of add whatever, more Italian Spices if wanted, or whatever!

So we'll start with the Eco-Chips which I guess are called Spicy Seed Chips::
1) Start by soaking 1 cup sunflower seeds, 1 c. pumpkin seeds, and 1 c walnuts
(They only need to be soaked for one hour, and you can soak them all in the same bowl)
2) Place 3/4 c sesame seeds and 1 c. ground brown flax
IMPORTANT: make sure to GRIND the flax. You can just grind it in your vitamix, however I would recommend you grind the flax first, because it becomes your base, and sticky/ glue like. If you grind it first, you don't have to wash out your vitamix after!
NOTE: The first 2 steps are the necessities, From here on out feel free to play with the recipe, just make sure you have 4 cups of liquid in your Vitamix!
3) Place in Vitamix
2 c tomatoes
1 c. onion
1 c. red pepper
1/2 c. lime
1/4 c. cilantro
2 T cumin
2 T cayenne
1 T sea salt
1 T pepper

Process the soaked nuts in the cuisinart and place in a bowl with the mixture. Stir it all together for the dough. Spread 2 c. on a tefelx sheet, dehydrate for 48 hours, and cup into chip like shapes!



This isn't my recipe its Lexi's from the Ecopolitan, if you ever do a special class, request her. She was amazing.. even though she doesn't eat raw.

Anywho: Some observations thus far.

While doing homework or when I come home my first response is to eat. It makes me question weather or not I'm even hungry. Or just eating because.

I've lost 5 pounds. I think due to the fact that I don't like carrots, or basically another vegetable. And apparently nuts have fat? Fantastic, and fruit is to be my desert from now on, so I don't want it to be my snacks. So, to clarify. I'm not anorexic. I'm just not eating when not necessary. I guess no other better way to explain it then by quoting the raccoon from Over The Hedge who said something to the effect of "Humans life to eat, where we eat to live."
Profound I tell you.

Well I'm disgusting from my Vinyasa yoga class (which I think I want to become certified in.) And desperately need to shower (and yes chelsea, that includes washing my hair.)

OH! And i went to a Raw Potluck with tim and my mom. It was very...interesting. I would recommend checking it out. ALSO, I am thinking about having my own version of a raw pot luck. Inviting people over, making taco salad and maybe watching Food Inc. Let me know if you'd be interested!

And I have pictures of my yummy dinner on my twitter. I'm not to sure how to work this whole blog thing yet. So hopefully it'll get easier, and prettier looking!




Our journey thus far: our fridge appears to be growing things :)


No comments:

Post a Comment